Thursday, September 24, 2015

Food Songs #1 : Lunchtime


I don't even remember having to say Grace as a child so it was a weird thing to see and hear when I started working in Kindergarten.  It wasn't a religious thing but it was a ritual and table manners.  I learnt to enjoy the little chants or songs and tried to find suitable English versions.

It wasn't easy finding anything that wasn't slightly religious or too difficult.  With a little thought I came up with this simple rhyme that the kids enjoyed for years : Yum Yum

Of course I got bored with the same old and with some inspiration (from somewhere on the internet) I came up with this little ditty sung to the well know tune 'If you are Happy and you know it' :  Hungry as a Bear

There are some great German lunch songs/ Graces which are called Tischsprüche.  Most of these rhymes don't translate very well into English but one we used did and while it isn't the easiest one to remember it is fun and teaches the directions on a compass ; The Way to Eat

A work colleague of mine recently introduced me to two more Lunch songs.  The first one is a simple 'repeat after me' to the tune of Frere Jacques : Are you Hungry?   The second is more of a poem.  I have heard it before but never had the text to pass on : One Little Mouth

I am working on finding/writing some new songs for lunchtime.  If you have any you want to share then feel free to post them in the comments section of this post.






No comments:

Post a Comment