Saturday, September 26, 2015

Fun Songs #1 : Grumpysaurus

A few years ago my boss encouraged me to learn how to play the guitar.  It was always something I had wanted to do since I was a teenager but courses were expensive and I didn't really have the time or money back then.

Older and wiser I decided I should at least look into it.  So I went home and looked up a few of the basics and chords.  It didn't look easy but I started simple and my partner gave me some tips.  I started practicing while in work with the kids (more about that later) and one day Grumpysaurus was born.

I was practicing three chords and changing between them when a kid had a bit of a tantrum.  A couple of days earlier I had seen the Grumposaur (see pic) somewhere and I told the kid  he was being a Grumpysaurus.  He instantly stopped having his tantrum and asked me what's a Grumpysaurus?  I improvised and started singing the simple text to the chords I was playing.

All the kids started singing along and I was surprised when they started suggesting more verses. Years later a special little boy called Ben even came up with a new verse.  I haven't added it to the text file yet but he is called Sillysaurus and I am sure there are more verses to come!

Each verse has its own sound or action.  Hungrysaurus goes Nom Nom Nom,  Iloveyousaurus makes a heart with his hands and the newest addition, Sillysaurus, makes faces.  It isn't hard to come up with actions, just ask the kids!  They came up with all the ones I use! :)

It is a simple song and a lot of fun.   The kids get to learn some words to do with actions and feelings plus the get some exercise if they move around while singing.

I hope there are other children out there who will enjoy singing it as much as the many children I have sung it with over the years.  It continues to be a favourite and is sung at least once a week in my group.

Listen to the first verse of the song below.  Also open the link for the song text and guitar chords.


If you come up with some new verses then please share them in the comments!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment