Monday, November 16, 2015

St Nikolaus Songs #1 - Jolly Old Saint Nicholas

Sorry for the radio silence!  I got hit with a cold/cough and with Lantern Fest and everything there wasn't much energy and time left to come and post anything here!

Anyway, the next fest is nearly upon us and here in Austria it is Nikolaus.  Celebrated on the 6th of December it is when the children get their 'stocking' or in this case 'boot' filled with goodies.  I see it as a Christmas warm up ;)

Seeing as Nikolaus isn't an English celebration it is really hard to contribute anything in English.  Over the years I have come to accept this and just offered up some Christmas or Winter songs. 

However I came across the song Jolly Old Saint Nicholas last year.  I am sure it must be a well known song but I had never heard of it before (not that I can remember anyway).  So I decided this song could be useful in Kindergarten but didn't like all of the text.  So I used some of the original lyrics and revised it a bit to suit my needs.

My version of Jolly Old St Nicholas can be sung to the same melody as the original so I haven't added a sound file because I hope it will be easy enough to sing.  I am also sure a google search will help you find the guitar chords or various renditions of the song if you don't know it already.

The lyrics can be found here.  I hope you enjoy singing this one!





No comments:

Post a Comment